This scheme encourages and supports Biotech Entrepreneurs to establish and validate proof of-concept (POC) for an idea with a commercial potential.
The Biotechnology Ignition Grant (BIG) is the flagship pioneering start-up funding programme of the Biotechnology Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), a not-for-profit company under Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India.
Grant-in-aid of up to INR 50 lakh for 18 months
Scope & Support
BIG supports :
- Projects that propose a process/product innovation with commercial potential. Projects with clear technology objectives.
- Projects focused on establishing or validating proof-of-concept for a technology idea.
BIG does not support basic research projects and projects involving systematic clinical trials, field trials or late stage validation/certification of the technology.
Who Can Apply?
- Individuals: Academicians, Scientists, Medical degree holders Researchers and PhDs (of any branch of life sciences).
- Company/LLP: Biotechnology start-ups/ entrepreneurs having a registered company/LLP incorporated not earlier than 3 years from the date of launch of the BIG call.
- Medical Biotechnology
- Healthcare: Devices and Diagnostics
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Health care-Drugs (including Drug Delivery)